Are you my Mommy?

Are you my Mommy?
Are you my Mommy?

Thursday, September 1, 2011

My Protein Resolution

My Protein Resolution...Did I mention I am weird?
 SSSsssshhhhhhhhhhhh....don't tell anyone it might end up on the Internet.

Yep, I did it I made a protein resolution and I have a little guy, Mr. B, to thank as my muse.  You see protein was always an after thought for me, making the mostly vegetarian part of our lives an easier thing.  I know the benefits of eating healthy food and not just expecting a miracle to occur in a vitamin pill (please begin conjuring images of soy lent green...yep, I'm that nerdy too). So, two weeks ago I began a resolution to cook a bag 'o beans weekly...well almost weekly (I am the compromising mother after all and realism is my game).  Oddly enough, I think, I cheated at my own game because the first week was black eyed peas...missing the essential "bean" in their title.  Cooked 'em up at the beginning of the week.  Used them in a Dijon shallot vinaigrette based salad, cooked with kale bell peppers and onions another night, fed to Mr. B for a few days, and frozen in small portions for later easy meals for Mr. B.  This week black beans (I want variety in our diets so I went totally opposite this time).  Same strategy but instead this time, but spiced with oregano, black pepper, thyme (thanks D for opening my eyes to this one), Bay leaf, and a little fennel.  Great side dish to chayote soup (a new thing) and stuffed jalapenos (whew baby watch out!).  Of course Mr. B food again. I'm thinking cannelini beans next week. How do I accomplish this rigorous schedule?  Remember, my love of easy and in walks the crock pot .  You can cook beans in the crock pot (Warning: red beans need a good boiling first to be safe!!!)

step 1soak overnight
Step 3 Play with close up shots using the mf setting on camera

Pretty!!!

Step 4 drain and add water to 1-2 inches over beans and cook for 8-10 hours on low.

Here's a link if you are a detail oriented person...not met...It's a struggle to follow recipes for me...I add a little this a little that until you have Oneoffer... naming rites belong to husband D here.

The compromise:  must plan ahead the night before for preparing beans for dinner.

The Sweet Reward: The crock pot is green and frugal because it uses less energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment