Are you my Mommy?

Are you my Mommy?
Are you my Mommy?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Real Gooey Butter Cake

The title alone tells of my first compromise.

Compromise:  Making possibly the least healthy cake.

The Sweet Reward:  Do I really need to tell you?

This happens to be so quintessentially St. Louis that it is an absolute must on a visit or celebration of the Gateway City.

I do not like cake mixes...they are overly processed and likely contain the cheapest ingredients (ironic given the real ingredients are not expensive).  Yet, I needed to make this for a St. Louis themed night, so the best option was to at least make it homemade and maintain enough self-control to not eat most of the pan. I did lovingly lick the beaters.  Don't give me that hairy eye ball, you would too.

This is not my own recipe, but here is the link I used 

Homemade Gooey Butter Cake 
on a side note, this is a fun site.

It was rich, buttery, sweet, evenly moist texture, a nice but not too thick crumbly crust, appropriate amount of goo, thin top layer of crisp, and a beautiful golden color.

Eat me!!! Eat me!!!

If you don't mind ignoring what you know about nutrition, please do try this.  

By the way, this one lacks cream cheese which seems to allow the buttery flavor to fully shine.

Oh and without a cake mix it still only took about 15 minutes to mix up.

It met with rave reviews from man, woman, and child (aka Mr. B...at least he shared with his best bud the dog)

No comments:

Post a Comment