Are you my Mommy?

Are you my Mommy?
Are you my Mommy?

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

5 Minute Homemade Almond Ice Cream

This idea came from a carton of almond milk...I know not that exciting.  After finding out it was simply okay in coffee and nothing spectacular, I was left with a carton of almond milk...repetitive I know.  So, one thing I try desperately to do is not waste anything as it typically is bad for the planet (which I happen to like) and my pocket book. Although please do not ask about the corn that died a sad death in my vege drawer because I worked too much and forgot about it.  So, back to the almond milk.  We I we love ice cream.  In my dream world, it is just me loving ice cream so that it is all mine.  I love easy ice cream, you know the kind that other people make, but the ones without weird ingredients cost as much as dinner did when I was in college.  So, I like making it, but don't like taking time from other activities.  This thought process led me to quick ice creams and they are yummy (you can even put flavored soy milk in an ice cream maker for a delicious one ingredient treat) on the first day....a few days later inevitably temptaition drives me to open the freezer and with disappointment find a glacier of hard ice cream, no longer that soft velvety treat that makes me smile.  I heard a new trick though that I wanted to try and had Along Milk, a healthy ingredient, that needed to be consumed.  So, I came up with a recipe with an interesting twist or two.  Here goes in pictures and snipets of text...I hear pictures bring the fans in and since in blogger terms I am a mere infant, I am game.......

First get a storage bowl of at least 6 cup capacity, but for ease of stirring 8 is really the goal.

Empty a 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk into bowl.
Now carefully lick the lid of can avoiding any and all tongue lacerations...I know it is a risk, but oh so worth it.  Of course, I should say "Do not try this at home," but I did, but you shouldn't....yummmmm.....

Next add 3 cups of almond milk, unflavored variety, make sure to shake the jug first....
 Now be impressed by this picture. I am not left handed, but did need my right hand to work the camera....
A little confession, I am focussing you on my great pouring picture so you don't notice that my bowl is getting messy.   Your mama told me that you should try to be neater than me.

Now for the secret ingredient.  Add 1/2 cup of sour cream and please go for full fat, don't want anything weird to mess up your opportunity to savor this one.  This is the ingredient that is touted to keep your homemade ice cream from becoming hard as a rock....It works although not perfectly.
On a side note, for ease of stirring, I should have added the sour cream before the milk to avoid any clumping.

We are almost there.  Finally add 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.
You will now be able to enjoy the smell of yummy almonds permeating your kitchen...oh wait that's Mr. B getting into the bottle.  Hey, who showed him how to unscrew caps.  Note to self: add almond extract to the shopping list...okay moving on

And one more finally. If you like a little tang in your ice cream...it is total yum...add 1/2 cup of yogurt.  My preference is the full or partial fat homemade variety...I will do a post on the easy homemade yogurt method soon. I have been making all of ours for awhile now.

And the final finally is here.
Give it a good stir...made easier with a friendly whisk.

Refrigerate for a few hours and freeze according to the directions on your ice cream maker (a purchase well worth it...ours has a freezable sleeve so we keep it in the freezer at all times for ice cream emergencies and ice is not needed :)

I wish I had pictures of the final result to show you, but we ate it in the dark next to a fire pit in the backyard with good friends after a glass of wine, so forgetfulness was an obvious contender. 

We enjoyed it with toasted almonds and amaretti cookies from the Italian market.  It is so rich, and smooth....and no one can taste just how easy it was. 

Enjoy

The Compromise:  A love of ice cream along with a distaste for ingredients I can not pronounce...I once got on my soapbox about High Fructose Corn Syrup in my grocery store.  D is worried that I will get a reputation, but trust me people really did listen......

The Sweet Reward: Homemade, but easy Almond Ice Cream...need I say more

Enjoy this treat as Summer winds down...I am working on developing a dislike of ice cream in winter as it makes you more cold, but my motivation is to maintain a respectable waistline.

Savoringly yours,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment