Are you my Mommy?

Are you my Mommy?
Are you my Mommy?

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Homemade, easy granola

Usually I like to make a ginger granola or a cinnamon one depending on what strikes my fancy.  I make huge batches, which means I can make one of each and it lasts two adults most of the winter.  We tend to eat granola probably once but maybe twice a week.  I also like to make in the Spring before it gets too hot, so that I have it to last during the summer.  Simply store in freezer or fridge to keep fresh, which maintains nutrients and prevents anything going rancid...you know that yuck taste you get when you try a bag of nuts that got pushed to the back of your pantry for too long

Here are the ingredients

9 cups of old fashioned oats (I ran out of sunflower seeds, so typically I do 8 cups of oats and one cup of sunflower seeds)
1 1/2 cups of wheat germ
1 1/2 cups of oat bran
1 cup of sesame seeds
1 1/2 cups of sliced almond (or any preferred nut chopped up)
1 cup of ground flax seeds (I was low so I omitted this with no problem...make sure to grind otherwise there is no point in eating flax since your stomach can not digest unless ground...although they go rancid in this state, so do not leave in your cupboard for more than a couple of weeks)

1 cup of packed brown sugar (buy C&H brand and you know it is real cane sugar...no I get no revenue from saying that, still just a working for free blogger :) and happily)
1 Tablespoon of fresh ginger grated
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon vanilla

3/4 cup of crystallized ginger chopped

Mix all dry ingredients together in the first grouping.

This close up shows off all the texture

Separately mix seasonings in a small bowl with brown sugar, pour boiling water over this.


Stir this mixture into oat mixture.

Spread onto to rimmed baking sheets that are either greased or lined with Silpats (the latter means it is free of extra fats), mixture will be 3/4 inch thick. If you like clusters then squeeze the mixture as you go.  Sounds weird but works.
This close up is to show the clumps you can get with squeezing the granola

Bake at 350.  I bake it for 45-60 minutes, but check at 30 and stir for even browning and bake until a nice golden granola color is achieved.


Let cool in pans. Stir in crystallized ginger and any preferred dried fruit (or add the fruit to your bowl as you eat it...dried apricots is great with the ginger version.)

Options::
Feel free to tailor to your preferences by replacing an equal amount of dry ingredient with what you like in seeds nuts or grains.

The cinnamon version...leave out all forms of ginger and add 1-2 Tablespoons to the seasonings...so yummy and goes great with golden raisins (I dislike black ones...one of probably two foods I can not stand...weird...oh except  most meats...yuck) or dried cranberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment