Are you my Mommy?

Are you my Mommy?
Are you my Mommy?

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Taking the Bite out of Onions

I love onions, but they are getting stronger....or I am getting older and more sensitive. I choose to blame the onions for the problem and therefore they need to solve it themselves...yep, healthy boundaries with your onions is the best way to develop a healthy and fulfilling mutual relationship.  Next up, my advice on marital relationships...just kidding. I like a bit of crunch in my food (celery in salad sandwiches...yum), so I like thinly sliced onions on my tacos.  We enjoyed these the other night and tonight is Mexican casserole (better known as what to do with leftover taco layer dip).  I stopped eating raw onions for awhile until I discovered a simple trick from Rick Bayless, an amazing Mexican chef. I have watched him for years on PBS (gotta love the PBS).  It's one extra simple step after slicing your onions. Simply cover them with cold water in the serving bowl while you cook dinner.  Pour off water before serving and enjoy.

Leftover layered taco dip from weekend party becomes a casserole by adding chopped onion, bell peppers,tomatoes, then a layer of tortilla, a layer of cheese, another layer of tortilla, followed by salsa or other preferred sauce such as mole.  Make sure to leave areas for steam to vent as it cooks.  Bake at 350 for about an hour, let set up for 15 minutes, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment